New Name, Same Trusted Formula! KILZ 2® ALL-PURPOSE Primer (Previously KILZ 2 Latex) is a fast drying, water-based, multi-surface primer-sealer-stainblocker with excellent adhesion, mildew resistance, sealing properties and very mild odor. KILZ 2 ALL-PURPOSE Primer blocks medium stains including minor water stains, rust, grease, ink, pencil and felt marker. Enhanced hiding makes it ideal for changing colors and helps lessen the number of coats of paint required. Use on interior and exterior surfaces including woodwork, drywall, plaster, paneling, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces†. Use under or over water-based or oil-based paints. Not recommended on flooring.
The following steps are recommended for product performance.
All surfaces must be clean, free of dust, chalk, oil, grease, wax, polish, mold and mildew, loose peeling paint, rust and all other foreign
If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and allow to dry.
Unpainted, exterior wood exposed to sun and/or moisture longer than 2-4 weeks must be cleaned and sanded before priming.
†Glossy Surfaces: For maximum adhesion, scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.*
Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface.*
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ 2 ALL-PURPOSE Primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ 2 ALL-PURPOSE Primer.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming. Primer recommendations: Water-based primers such as KILZ® RESTORATION or oil-based primers such as KILZ® ORIGINAL (interior use) or KILZ® ORIGINAL EXTERIOR.
- Eye protection is recommended. For spray applications, a small amount of water (no more than 1/2 pint per gallon) may be added.
- Do not thin for stainblocking applications. Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°-90°F (10°-32°C).
- Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Brush – High quality Nylon/Polyester.
- Roller – High quality 3/8-1/2" nap on smooth surfaces or 1/2-3/4" nap on semi-rough or porous surfaces.
- Airless spray – .017-.021 tip / 60 mesh filter.
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: KILZ 2 ALL-PURPOSE Primer is formulated to block light or medium stains. For heavy stains use oil based primers such as KILZ® ORIGINAL and KILZ® ORIGINAL EXTERIOR or water based primers such as KILZ® RESTORATION and KILZ® PREMIUM.
- Tinting: KILZ 2 ALL-PURPOSE Primer may be tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage: 300-400 sq. ft. (27.87-37 m²) per gallon depending on application method and surface porosity.
DRY TIME @ 77°F (25°C) / 50% RH
Dries to the touch in 30 minutes.
Can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with latex or oil-based paint.
Application at lower temperatures, in high humidity or in poorly ventilated areas will affect dry time.
CLEAN UP & DISPOSAL
Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product. For recycling or disposal information contact your
local household refuse collection service.
accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse