New Look, Same Trusted Formula! KILZ® ORIGINAL Primer is a powerful stain blocking formula that blocks most heavy interior stains including water, smoke, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker, grease, and also seals pet, food and smoke odors. Trusted by pros for over 40 years, it has excellent sealing and adhesion properties help paint adhere to most interior surfaces leading to better results. Use on wood, drywall, plaster, paneling, wallpaper, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces†. Not recommended for mold or mildew-prone surfaces or on flooring.
- The following steps are recommended for product performance.
- All surfaces must be clean, free of dust, chalk, oil, grease, wax, polish, mold and mildew, loose peeling paint, rust and all other foreign substances.
- If washing is necessary, use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute, rinse well and allow to dry.
- †Glossy Surfaces: For maximum adhesion, scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.*
- Peeling or Checked Paint: Scrape off loose paint and sand to a smooth surface.*
- Mold or Mildew Covered Surfaces: Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- Masonry, Brick, Stucco and Plaster: KILZ ORIGINAL Primer may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces that have cured (dried) at least 90 days. If masonry has cured less than 90 days, use KILZ® PREMIUM, KILZ 2® or KILZ ORIGINAL LOW ODOR® Primers.
- Fire Restoration: It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming.
- Eye protection is recommended. Do not thin. Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Use product when painting surface and air temperatures are between 35°F (2°C) and 90°F (32°C).
- Brush – High quality Nylon/Polyester
- Roller – High quality 3/8-1/2" nap on smooth surfaces or 1/2-3/4" nap on semi-rough or porous surfaces.
- Airless spray – .015-.019 tip / 60 mesh filter
- Prime entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- Stainblocking: After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting: Up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon. Tinting to a lighter shade than topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage: 300-400 sq. ft. (28-37 m2) per gallon depending on application method and surface porosity.
DRY TIME AT 77°F (25°C), 50% RH
Dry Time @ 77°F (25°C) / 50% RH: Touch in 30 minutes.
Paint in 1 hour.
CLEAN UP & DISPOSAL
- Clean equipment and paint spatters with mineral spirits or acetone. Immediately after use, dispose of soiled rags and waste in a closed, water-filled container.
- Do not dispose of this product down a drain. Please consider donating any unused product.
- If spilled, contain material and remove with an inert absorbent. Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations. For recycling or disposal information contact your local household refuse collection service.